on the Old Opera House began on Sept. 18, 1899 by a contractor named
Harvey Everett. He used mostly volunteer help to build it. The theater
opened on a Saturday evening on July 28, 1900 with the celebrated
drama, Santiago. The building was dedicated on Dec.
1, 1901. A dance hall in the basement and, later on, a motion picture
screen, made the building the center of recreation for many years.
The Saturday night dances that were held in the basement of the
Opera House were a county attraction. Residents from Tooele and
other valley locations attended the festivities on a weekly basis.
to Iosepa >>